Members of 2 Hare Court advise and represent corporate and individual clients facing proceedings brought by regulators including the Health & Safety Executive, Environment Agency, Trading Standards and local authorities.
Members of chambers, both KCs and juniors, are highly experienced criminal advocates, who over the last five to ten years have mainly concentrated on regulatory crime. Our clients, both lay and professional, regularly comment on the significant advantages to them in instructing counsel who have acquired over many years in criminal courts at the highest level both the experience of heavyweight criminal work and the skills such as marshalling complex and paper-heavy cases, presenting highly technical evidence in a format easily comprehensible by Judges and juries and eliciting evidence in cross-examination from expert and other witnesses.
Whilst our primary focus is always on the legal outcomes for the client we are highly sensitive to the commercial and reputational issues involved in a regulatory criminal prosecution. This is reflected in both the advice given and the strategy and tactics adopted in each individual case.
Our team also advise at every stage of an investigation pre-charge on issues such as the approach to take in interview, evidence gathering and legal privilege. In appropriate cases members will advise on a direct access basis.
2 Hare Court runs a rolling programme of conferences and seminars, which are tailored to individual solicitors firms. Members of the team regularly present breakfast, lunchtime or after work seminars at our clients’ offices anywhere in the country. Recent topics have included:
- The fees for intervention regime and bad character
- The effect of s85 LASPO (unlimited fines in the magistrates’ court)
- The proposed Definitive Guideline for Health & Safety Offences
- Confiscation in environmental cases
Health & Safety
2 Hare Court is ranked as a leading set for Health & Safety in both Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500. A number of members now practice exclusively in this field and in related areas such as inquests arising from workplace fatalities and prosecutions brought by other regulators.
Members of Chambers have appeared in some of the most high-profile cases in recent years including; Princes Sporting Club, Lion Steel, Cavendish Masonry and Hugo Boss and cover the entire range of Health & Safety work from corporate and gross negligence manslaughter and other offences involving fatalities and/or serious injury to appealing Enforcement and Prohibition Notices. We appear in cases across all sectors including; construction, mining, agriculture, transport, retail, energy, manufacture and engineering.
Recent cases include:
- Death at work arising out of an accident at a chemical plant and related Coronial proceedings.
- Fatality a waste transfer station.
- Defending a publican in a prosecution for serious breaches of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety ) Order 2005.
- Acute non-fatal lead poisoning arising from work on an off shore structure.
- A number of cases arising from major incidents on gas and oil platforms together with related environmental cases involving spillages and the release of highly toxic gases.
- Outbreak of Legionnaire’s Disease in the air conditioning system of a Central London hotel.
- Death and major chemical spill at a large paint manufacturing site.
Trading Standards & Consumer Protection
We are regularly instructed by solicitors and directly by corporate clients or their in-house legal team, to advise on consumer protection and trading standards legislation. We also offer expertise in advertising, product safety, food safety, food hygiene, product recall, and other related matters.
Our work has included:
- Three Crown Court cases brought under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations involving allegations of mis-selling, conspiracy and international money-laundering.
- Advising a multi-national household goods company, a major frozen food company, a national biscuit baking company and others on food labelling issues, defending in related prosecutions and advising on their dealings with the Advertising Standards Authority.
- Assisting corporate organisations in drafting risk hazard analysis protocols across their food production businesses.
We have also recently presented seminars to clients on the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations, and are pleased to offer CPD-accredited training sessions to our clients at their premises.