Business Crime & Financial Services
In the Chambers UK 2021, Martin is described in these terms
“Keeps his eye on the ball at all times and makes fantastic legal submissions. He has a gentle but firm and persuasive approach.”… “A smiling assassin.”… “One of the best silks around, he can tell you what the jury are thinking…..”
Throughout his career he has specialised in cases involving fraud and these have formed a substantial part of his practice. He has experience of VAT and MTIC fraud, residential and commercial mortgage fraud, banking and boiler room fraud, insurance fraud, advance fee and factoring fraud, Ponzi schemes, bribery and corruption, offshore tax evasion, money laundering, and others. He also has extensive experience of POCA and related proceedings including confiscation, restraint and asset forfeiture.
Recently he has mounted defence arguments involving Hawala banking transactions and various Islamic financial institutions. He secured acquittals for the deputy news editor of the Sun and a Daily Mirror news journalist in separate high profile trials prosecuted under Operation Elveden (misconduct in a public office) concerned with payments to public officials.
He is currently advising a national government on issues of mutual legal assistance and judicial review arising out of cross border corporate fraudulent activity.
Cases of note include:
- Dr Olivier Reymond – alleged to have fraudulently procured payments of £110k from a 96 year old French Resistance Heroine
- Paul Sultana – the largest ever privately prosecuted fraud
- Van Osselaer (the “Lord of Fraud Plot” to rob the Sumitomo Matsui Bank of £220 million)
- Austin (appeal related to London City Bond scandal)
- Mahmood & Oths (an alleged “cash for crash” insurance fraud on a significant scale)
- Chaudry Ali & Oths (accused of masterminding a £15m gold smuggling operation)
- Aseef Vaza & Oths (well-known handbag designer charged with involvement in a £80m revenue fraud)
- Adler & Oths (doctor alleged to have submitted false mediacal reports as part of 20mil insurance fraud
- Mancini & Oths(alleged family portfolio involving income tax and mortgage fraud)