Chris Gillespie Represents Corporate Client at Zane Gbangbola Inquest
On 7th February 2014, Zane Gbangbola, a seven year old boy died at his home address during serious flooding. The case attracted substantial publicity because of claims that the cause of death was poisoning by hydrogen cyanide that had escaped from the land owned by Chris’ client and that the State was involved in a cover up.
Following a six week inquest at the Woking Coroner’s Court during which the Coroner heard from over fifty witnesses including medical, scientific and environmental experts he concluded that there was no evidence whatsoever of the existence of hydrogen cyanide at the site let alone that it was a factor in the death of Zane Gbangbola. The cause of his tragic death was found to be carbon monoxide poisoning arising from the use of a petrol pump inside the family home to disperse the flood waters. Other represented interested parties included the relevant Borough Council, the Environment Agency and the company that had hired the petrol pump to the family. The latter was represented by Christopher Coltart QC.
Chris Gillespie was instructed by Paul Sheridan of CMS Cameron McKenna .