Kawsar joined 2 Hare Court as a Pupil Barrister in September 2018. He accepts instructions in all of Chambers’ areas of practice with a particular focus on business and white-collar crime, regulatory / investigations, inquiries and inquests.
A First-Class graduate of LSE, Oxford and Harvard Law School, Kawsar is a qualified solicitor transferring from Clifford Chance LLP and Allen & Overy LLP where he specialised in Financial Services Regulatory Law. He advised financial institutions on a wide range of regulatory issues (including in respect of MiFID II, the Market Abuse Regulation and the Senior Managers & Certification Regime). He also has experience of high value commercial litigation including fraud and global regulatory investigations as well as international commercial arbitration matters, banking/finance transactions and private funds formation. In 2018, Kawsar was shortlisted for the Junior Lawyer of the Year by the Law Society of England & Wales.
High profile and high value matters included representing:
- A prominent Russian oligarch in respect of an LCIA arbitration concerning a joint-venture dispute.
- A leading financial institution on internal disciplinary procedures relating to alleged improper conduct by traders involving the manipulation of Libor rate submissions.
- A global investment bank on an ‘Information Request’ (investigation) from the PRA concerning allegations client failed to provide authorities with relevant information arising from a New York Department of Financial Services investigation.
- Platinum Equity / Exterion Media Group as the borrower’s counsel on the refinancing of its €75 million facilities following a successful bid by Exterion Media for Transport for London’s £2 billion advertising contract; the largest outdoor advertising contract in the world.
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch in updating its Banking Terms and ancillary documents for Korea.
- HSBC on one of its largest projects ever involving the ‘ring-fencing’ of its retail and commercial banking activities.
Kawsar is an author of Clifford Chance LLP’s International Mediation Guide (Second Edition, 2016), a comprehensive summary of the current “state of play” in relation to mediation worldwide surveying 47 jurisdictions covering six continents.
As a Pupil Barrister, Kawsar has already developed a wide range of experience across Chambers’ practice areas.
- Kawsar is regularly instructed in the Crown Court, Magistrates’ Court and Youth Court for trial and sentencing on matters covering a wide range of offences including financial crime, drugs and violence.
- His cases have included successful appeals against conviction and sentence, and private driving matters.
Business, Financial and White-Collar Crime
- Assisting Christopher Coltart QC in advising a High Net Worth Individual in relation to an FCA investigation into insider dealing.
- Advising an individual in relation to a pre-charge FCA investigation into alleged insider dealing.
- Appointed as a Junior Junior Counsel to the Undercover Policing Inquiry, one of the UK’s longest running public inquiries.
Public, Civil & Employment
As a member of the Government’s Junior Junior Panel of Counsel, Kawsar has been instructed on wide ranging matters, well beyond his level of call and on one matter, ‘off-panel’ for cases usually reserved for the Attorney General’s C-Panel of Counsel. He has been security cleared at basic level.
- Advising the MoJ in respect of a civil claim for personal injury damages concerning a prisoner upon staff assault at HMP Manchester.
- Advising the MoJ and the Deputy Governor of HMP Belmarsh in respect of a civil claim for damages concerning a claim under section 13 of the Data Protection Act 1998 and tort of misuse of private information.
- Advising the DWP in respect of a claim for unfair dismissal seeking reinstatement and disability discrimination.
- Advising the Home Office in a claim for false imprisonment, assault/battery and misfeasance in public office concerning the detention of a passenger by Border Force Officers.
- Advising the HSE in respect of a claim for discrimination on grounds of disability discrimination (failing to make reasonable adjustments).
- Representing the Nursing & Midwifery Council in proceedings against nurses for interim and substantive order applications (suspension and conditions of practice) as well as restoration hearings.
- Assisting Marios Lambis in advising a dentist in respect of a Preliminary Meeting before the General Dental Council’s Fitness to Practice hearing.
- Instructed by HMRC as the sole disclosure junior in respect of a First-tier Tribunal appeal against HMRC’s decision to revoke the appellant’s approval as a ‘registered owner’ under s100G(1) Customs and Excise Management Act 1979 and Regulation 5(1) Warehousekeepers and Owners of Warehoused Good Regulations 1999.
- Investigating Officer for a secondary school in respect of a sensitive staff grievance lasting 4 months involving 10 witnesses and producing a 40-page report of findings with recommendations.
- Investigating Officer for a UK headquartered International NGO in respect of a disciplinary investigation involving senior members of staff.
- Appointed as a Commissioner for the Citizen’s Commission on Islam, Participation & Public Life, chaired by the former Attorney General of England & Wales, The Rt. Hon. Dominic Grieve QC MP (2015-17).
- Since joining 2 Hare Court, Kawsar has been awarded the Ann Goddard Scholarship by Gray’s Inn and the Excellence in Advocacy Award by the Criminal Bar Association.
- Kawsar is currently:
- an elected representative on the Executive Committee of the Society of Asian Lawyers UK;
- a Social Mobility Ambassador for the Law Society;
- a member of the Criminal Bar Association’s Social Mobility Committee; and
- a Trustee of Toynbee Hall, which is home to the oldest surviving free legal advice centre in the world.
- He has a good working knowledge of government and the civil service having worked at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, the Department for Education, and the House of Commons. In 2009, Kawsar was a Global Fellow of the Prime Minister.
Kawsar is qualified to receive instructions on a Direct Access basis.