Originally a City solicitor, Christopher’s background was in commercial property litigation. During that time, he had an extensive portfolio of cases, representing banks, pension funds and other financial institutions in a variety of high value claims. Since being called to the Bar in 1998, his practice has retained a commercial element to it, and he now specialises in business crime, contested regulatory matters, professional disciplinary cases and sports law. He is recommended by the legal directories in relation to all of those practice areas. He is also Head of 2 Hare Court’s Business Crime & Financial Services Group, and has recently been appointed as a Sports Arbitrator with Sport Resolutions Limited.
In addition, Christopher has significant experience of major inquest work. His instructions in this regard include representing the interests of clients in the 7/7 London bombing inquest, and also the inquest into the Hillsborough tragedy.
Christopher accepts Direct Access instructions.
Recent instructions – Business and White Collar Crime
- Representing Cambridge Analytica, the firm at the centre of the Facebook data harvesting row.
- Representing the Chief Executive of Sports Direct on charges brought against him under the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992
- Advising a former employee of Rolls Royce in relation to the SFO investigation into allegations of bribery and corruption.
- Representing a company director in an SFO investigation into allegations of bribery, corruption and money laundering in overseas mining contracts.
- Advising a senior former in-house lawyer at Barclays in relation to the SFO/Qatari investigation
- Advising a UK bank on the conduct of an internal investigation into possible criminal offending
- Advising an AIM listed company on the settlement of a dispute concerning the misappropriation of £4m from the company
- Advising a partner from one of the ‘Big 4’ accountancy firms on allegations of corruption and bribery
- Advising a firm of solicitors in relation to a possible money laundering investigation
- Advising a firm of US lawyers on an application for Mutual Legal Assistance arising out of the LIBOR litigation
- Representing a firm of loss adjusters on charges brought under s.55 Data Protection Act 1998
- Representing a Police & Crime Commissioner in relation to an allegation of electoral fraud
- Advising on the legality of search warrants in a major criminal investigation.
Recent instructions – Regulatory cases
- Representing the FA in proceedings against Joey Barton
- Representing the FA in proceedings against Leeds United Football Club and its chairman, Massimo Cellino
- Advising an individual in relation to the Tesco accounting issues presently under investigation by the Financial Reporting Council (FRC)
- Advising a major UK plc on a current investigation by the FRC
- Representing the former Financial Director of a listed company in proceedings brought against him by the FRC
- Representing the FRC in proceedings brought against the former CEO and FD of a listed company
- Representing a company director in disciplinary proceedings before the Takeover Panel
- Advising the FA on an investigation into issues at a Premier League club
- Representing a solicitor in proceedings brought against him at the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal
Recent instructions – Inquests and Health & Safety
- Advising one of the witnesses in the inquest into the Hillsborough tragedy
- Representing the same individual in the subsequent criminal investigation
- Representing a construction company in an inquest into a fatal accident at work
- Representing one of the interested parties in the inquest into the death of Zane Gbangbola
What others say:
“One of the best silks out there for financial crime. He has a City background and is a very calm advocate. Judges think he is fantastic, and his written work is excellent” – Chambers UK 2018
“He is terrific, because he’s very calm and, having worked in the City, he has a good grasp of the system. He’s very responsive, extremely clever and easy to work with.” – Chambers UK 2017
“His forensic approach to defence preparation puts him ahead of his peers.” – Legal 500 2017
“A masterful drafter who is very approachable.” – Chambers UK 2016
“He is incredibly organised and accessible. He is very engaged throughout the process, good with clients and trusted by everyone.” – Chambers UK 2015
“A cerebral and talented advocate.” – Legal 500 2015
“His advocacy and drafting are fantastic and he instils complete confidence in any client.” – Chambers UK 2014
“He has an impressive track record of handling white-collar and fraud defence work. Solicitors admire his flawless preparation and ability to handle sensitive cases.” – Chambers UK 2014
“One of the ablest barristers in practice.” – The Legal 500 2013
“Very thorough and approachable…excellent in terms of his ability.” – Chambers UK 2012
“Highly intelligent, clear, calm and able.” – The Legal 500 2011
“One of the brightest barristers at the criminal Bar.” – The Legal 500 2010